This is the original page we used to discuss a first location for Bloominglabs (2009). It is only still around for historical purposes.
Prospective Locations for the Bloomington Hackerspace
So lets collect some locations that may meet our potential needs. If possible post a google-maps reference. Also we can post info on commercial real-estate agents.
- Needs to be inside or close to Bloomington
- being close to a bus line is a big benefit. I won't say its a requirement, but it will definitely attract more students who don't have their own transportation.
- Cheap rent
- further items as discussed
Other things to consider about location:
- Probably want something industrial - lower rent and no noise restrictions
- At least basic parking accommodations, hopefully enough for at least 5-10 cars, more is better
- Garage entrance might be nice, but certainly not required (allows more ventilation, also car hacking)
- A restroom may not be mandatory but should be considered
- A place to put up Ham radio antennas and/or free-to-air dishes outdoors might be nice
- A fixer-upper might also be in order, up for discussion based on locations found
Important things to inspect when checking out locations
- verify the roof does not leak, look for freshly repaired ceilings/walls
- verify utilities available (power, water, trash, restroom a plus, net access)
- does it have 3-phase power available? Any other types of power? (2phase, current capacity)
- also apparently industrial power areas can have higher power rates, need to verify with agent or power company
- who are the neighbors? any problems with burglary or vandalism in the area?
- do they care if we install outdoor antennas or dishes?
The order of the listing presently does not indicate order of preference.
- Fountain Square - Central, basement offices are cheap (like $200/month, includes utils), proximity to other things like Game Preserve, resturants. Smithville has talked about wiring the building with ethernet jacks before. Downtown may make it easier to get others involved.
- Empty lot on North-East corner of 10th and Walnut for lease: 339-9128 / size: 87'x132'
* BHS candidate #1 on google map * 339-4221 They (Dirk) called me back on 6-10-09, possibly had a space that could hold 3 cars with electricity, restroom access, overhead garage door with high ceilings for about $600 a month. He was going to check with an associate to see if they had any smaller spaces with power for a cheaper price.