Revision as of 12:12, 11 June 2009 by Dosman
Prospective Locations for the Bloomington Hackerspace
So lets collect some locations that may meet our potential needs. If possible post a google-maps reference. Also we can post info on commercial real-estate agents.
- Needs to be inside or close to Bloomington
- being close to a bus line is a big benefit. I won't say its a requirement, but it will definitely attract more students who don't have their own transportation.
- Cheap rent
- further items as discussed
Other things to consider about location:
- Probably want something industrial - lower rent and no noise restrictions
- At least basic parking accommodations, hopefully enough for at least 5-10 cars, more is better
- Garage entrance might be nice, but certainly not required (allows more ventilation, also car hacking)
- A restroom may not be mandatory but should be considered
- A place to put up Ham radio antennas and/or free-to-air dishes outdoors might be nice
- A fixer-upper might also be in order, up for discussion based on locations found
Important things to inspect when checking out locations
- verify the roof does not leak, look for freshly repaired ceilings/walls
- verify utilities available (power, water, trash, restroom a plus, net access)
- does it have 3-phase power available? Any other types of power? (2phase, current capacity)
- also apparently industrial power areas can have higher power rates, need to verify with agent or power company
- who are the neighbors? any problems with burglary or vandalism in the area?
- do they care if we install outdoor antennas or dishes?
The order of the listing presently does not indicate order of preference.
- Fountain Square - Central, basement offices are cheap (like $200/month, includes utils), proximity to other things like Game Preserve, resturants. Smithville has talked about wiring the building with ethernet jacks before. Downtown may make it easier to get others involved.
- Empty lot on North-East corner of 10th and Walnut for lease: 339-9128 / size: 87'x132'
* BHS candidate #1 on google map * 339-4221 They (Dirk) called me back on 6-10-09, possibly had a space that could hold 3 cars with electricity, restroom access, overhead garage door with high ceilings for about $600 a month. He was going to check with an associate to see if they had any smaller spaces with power for a cheaper price.